is an educational program designed to visualize the
symmetry elements of molecules and to animate the
corresponding symmetry operations in an interactive
It is aimed to help chemistry students conceive the
symmetry properties of the molecular structure.
includes a database with symmetry and geometry data
of 48 organic and inorganic molecules, corresponding
to all point groups of chemical interest.
The user can search the database via the Graphical
User Interface and filter the molecules by their symmetry
elements or point group . The user can also filter
the symmetry elements of a selected molecule by their
type or by their order.
In summary, with 3DMolSym
- Display any combination of the symmetry elements
of a selected molecule.
- Perform any symmetry operation of a selected
- Adjust the speed and pause the animation of
a symmetry operation.
- Display a molecule in Ball n' Stick, Wireframe,
Sticks or Space Filling format.
- Rotate, translate and zoom a molecule to any
- Store and recall 4 preferred view points.
- View information about the symmetry elements
and point group of a molecule.